"They laughed at me at the bus stop in front of The Academy..."

Want to design and produce a high quality video game with absolutely no technical knowledge about how to do it? No problem.

Follow along as one man teaches himself (almost) every aspect of video game design from scratch and eventually produces a playable 3d game demo.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

I Stand Alone...

Well, my friend won't be joining the project. He doesn't enjoy the programming. Ironically, I *do* enjoy what little programming I've done over the years, even though it's not easy for me. For this kind of project, it's probably best to make sure that everything is done by someone who's passionate about their area.

I've also learned a lesson. I've come close to learning this lesson in the past, but for the first time I've internalized it.

The lesson is: Don't try to rope friends into your projects. :) Spontaneous (opposed to professional) collaboration can work, certainly, but it's not easy to get right, and even if a friend is as interested in a subject as you are and believes in your idea, they have their own perspectives, priorities, and drives. They almost certainly won't have the same level of passion for your specific project as you do.

This lesson didn't come to me in a negative way at all. Our friendship is just as good as it was before. But it doesn't always work out that way. Luckily, my friend knew how important creative projects were to me, and was very fair from the beginning. There were no expectations- he'd check out the programming, and if he liked it, he'd be on board. If not, I'd continue on my own.

This turned out infinitely better than having him join out of guilt or obligation then ditch the project once we were deep into it.

Onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers