"They laughed at me at the bus stop in front of The Academy..."

Want to design and produce a high quality video game with absolutely no technical knowledge about how to do it? No problem.

Follow along as one man teaches himself (almost) every aspect of video game design from scratch and eventually produces a playable 3d game demo.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Meh. Back to basics.


Man, this character sucks.

I'm going to have to start over on him. He's a steampunk robot who's meant to be a the sidekick for the Steampunk ship's pilot. I "designed" him to be whimsical (check), goofy-looking (check), steampunk (check), and awesome (Nope). Part of his schtick was that he resented the form he was designed with. I started to give him a Penny Farthing (the old fashioned bicycle with one big wheel and one Small wheel) for locomotion, but I found myself hating him. My enthusiasm for working on the project started to fail, and it was all because I could think of a way to make this guy live up to the standards of the rest of the concept. In addition my monitor is dying- it gets fuzzy after long use and has to be turned off, and the combination of these has proven too much for me to push through.

So here's what I'm going to do. I think I'm being a bit too ambitious with the idea of having the demo be both Space and Land based. There's exponentially more work once I bring things planetside, so I'm going to focus on space combat for now. Once I have a working prototype under my belt I'm more likely to get my fire back. I firmly believe in this setting, and even though I haven't been doing as much graphical stuff, I think about it constantly. Fantasy Aliens, Strange vistas, magic... it's all very inspiring. I've been writing a lot of concepts down for later.

For now, though, I'm going back to my ships. I'm going to finish them up, then make sure I have an interesting arena for the combat. I can dip my foot into character animation and crude AI with the PC-controlled ships, the whaliens and one other spacefaring alien type I've planned on having. No need to try humans quite yet.

So yeah. I've reassessed the project, and I'm going to try to get back to basics, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers