"They laughed at me at the bus stop in front of The Academy..."

Want to design and produce a high quality video game with absolutely no technical knowledge about how to do it? No problem.

Follow along as one man teaches himself (almost) every aspect of video game design from scratch and eventually produces a playable 3d game demo.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pictures, as promised.






This is the high polygon version of the Steampunk ship, obviously. As a high polygon model, it's not suitable for game use, but if I do an animation sequence or intro movie it will work well.

I'm calling it a P.E.C.E, for "Pugilistic Ether Conveyance Engine". It's not complete- I still need to add weapons, a cargo port, and change some details, but it's starting to look the way I want it to. The first four images are self-explanatory, but the last image is the pressure gauge dial on the right boiler.

The strange structures on the sides (below the 5 port windows) are thrusters. They'll curve to thrust in the correct direction when the player uses them. I like that they're evocative of masts.

The red banner thing is the masthead. I'm going to emblazon the ship's proper name (It's a P.E.C.E class ship, not "The P.E.C.E") on it. Any ideas on what to call it? I colored it red to make it stand out in a render until I figure out exactly what I want to do with it.

As for things I've changed my mind on or refined, I want to give the exhaust nozzles a more bulbous look up top, and the "hood ornament" structure at the top might turn into a statue. If you can make out the nautical-styled door near the main thrusters, I've been thinking that there's a rope ladder that gets pulled in before flight, but I might add extensible stairs to the outside.

If anyone replies to this, go easy on me, I just started learning 3d modeling a week ago. I can honestly say that 95% of it looks exactly the way I intended it to, and I know how to fix the stuff that doesn't. This ship looks a bit blocky, but it's supposed to. The other ship, which I'm still working on the textures for, is more graceful. I may actually redo it completely with some of what I've learned since. It was my second model ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers