"They laughed at me at the bus stop in front of The Academy..."

Want to design and produce a high quality video game with absolutely no technical knowledge about how to do it? No problem.

Follow along as one man teaches himself (almost) every aspect of video game design from scratch and eventually produces a playable 3d game demo.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

WHALES... IN... SPAAACE!

My Son calls this thing a "Whalien". I call it a Tanin (Plural: Taninim), after the mythical celestial whales from Hebrew Folklore. This is the Mother, and there will be a calf as well, which I'll create from the same mesh.






These guys are important to the demo scenario. One culture reveres them as godlike beings, while the other culture hunts them to harvest their magic. The protagonists are in conflict over events related to this issue.


I'm not going to go preachy with it, but it's a plausible scenario given the game universe.


A bit about them:


They come from an ancient water world that was destroyed long ago. When this happened, they and many other creatures from that sea were given the ability to survive in space by a mysterious Power.


They propel themselves on an energy wake, and travel the stars between various asteroid fields, nebulae, and Terrestrial planets. To cross huge distances, they submerge into this wake and travel at FTL speeds. They're migratory.


They dip into an atmosphere or even an oxygen-rich nebula for air, and can hold their breath for months. They eat tiny spacefaring creatures that live in asteroids and in space dust. Though similar to a blue whale, instead of baleen, they have these:

These powerful mineralized grinding plates can pulverize asteroids to powder. After the creature filters out the nutrients and water from this paste, the fine powder gets blasted out of its blowholes.


Yeah. I think too much about the fiction I work on. Hopefully that will add depth to the demo. I plan to show many of these traits and behaviors in the game. They'll be going about their business in the area. They will avoid confrontation, but can be attacked and the Mother will try to protect her calf.

I might make a few changes. I think spikes and horns might be cool (or maybe not), and I might try out doing something similar to what I did with the tail to the six fins- open loops. I picture these having something to do with channeling the magical energy to emit the energy wake.

Next up, an actual character model.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers